Ms. Pieroni's 10-step guide to a healthy mindset during this time of social distancing:
1) Keep a schedule as much as possible. Have a list of things you want to accomplish by the end of the day. It'll make you feel better at the end of the day.
2) Open the curtains. Even if it's raining or snowing, make sure to see daylight.
3) Don't forget to move. Get in that gym or yoga routine from home. Your body and mental health will thank you.
4) Go for a walk outside. The fresh air will help wake you up and brighten your mood.
5) Continue to shower everyday and maintain regular hygiene. Brush your teeth, brush your hair, use deodorant, wash your face. Something about being clean (like you normally would) will make you feel better about yourself and your family will thank you.
6) Reach out to family and friends. We're all in this together. Reach out to me if you need a listening ear. I'm still available!
7) Try something new. Learn something new. Learn to juggle, write with your non-dominant hand, challenge yourself.
8) Limit your technology use. You know what's right for you. It's true that too much tech time will make you feel like garbage. You'll get a headache. Your eyes might hurt. This is a sign to get up and move.
9) Wake up and go to bed as close to the time you normally would. 7-8 hours of sleep is required for your brain to repair itself from the day before. Plus, deviating too far from your daily sleep schedule will be make it hard to readjust when you have to start your regular routine again.
10) Try to organize and prioritize your emotional well being. Talk about how you're feeling with your family. It's okay to feel nervous, anxious, upset, and uncertain. That's a normal response to the events happening around us. If that's not your cup of tea, keep a journal for yourself. Write it out. Make sure one way or another you're getting those feelings out.
As always, please reach out if there's anything I can support you with during our e-learning time!
- Apps: calm (free 7-day trial on the app store), headspace
- Planet Fitness (and I’m sure other gyms, that’s just the one I’ve seen) does a FB live every evening at 7 with a 20-30 minute “work-in” (see what they did there?) and the replays of the prior ones are available whenever.
More Online resources to utilize from home:
-Amazon FREE e-books
- Curiosity Stream
- Beast Academy (Math)
- Khan Academy
- Creative Bug
- Discovery Education
- Crash Course Kids
- Science Channel
- SciShow Kids
- National Geographic Kids
- Free School
- Geography Focus
- Kids Learning Tube
- Geeek Gurl Diaries
- Mike Likes Science
- Science Max
-Lots of board games, library books (and Kindle), tinkering/upcycling with household junk, etc.